I wanted to hang a new light in my kitchen nook and took down the old one but could not figure out the logistics of hanging a new light.I called Mr.

Electric to come in and hang the light and to check some outlets that were not working. When he arrived, he told me he needed to do a diagnostic on my electrical situation and it would cost me $134. I told him to go ahead. After the diagnostic, he said it would cost me $304 to replace a GFI and $245 to hang the light.

I told him he was too expensive. As he was leaving, I went to close the garage and the door didn't work. He said he had disabled the circuit because the GFI was bad. I told him to put it back the way it was.

He said he couldn't. I told him I would sign a release of liability. He called his supervisor who said he could not put it back. I talked to the supervisor and he told me to just get the repair done.

I told him I had a GFI replaced last year for $100. I live on social security and could not afford the $304. He said he would give me a 15% discount. I told him to never mind.

I felt that he was dishonest.

The technician said I should not have called them if I didn't have the money to pay for repairs.I'm totally insulted and feel that they are scammers.

Review about: Mr Electric Electric Service.

I didn't like: Way i was treated, Price manipulation.

Had an Experience with Mr Electric?

Comments

Bulverde, Texas, United States #1293635

We have two separate complaints here.Price and leaving with the defective GFCI device disconnected.

We understand that electrical work can be expensive.

We are constantly reviewing our pricing to be sure we are in line with other electrical contractors in the area to be sure we are competitive. In the State of Texas it is illegal for electrical work to be performed by someone without the appropriate electrical license working under a licensed electrical contractor. This is to protect the safety of the public. There are many people who do electrical work illegally without proper licensing.

We do not believe there is a licensed electrical contractor who can do this work for $100 and would like to see the invoice with their contractor's license number as required by law. If there was no license number on the invoice they need to be reported.

Our service professional gave you the price up front and the customer decided whether to proceed. How can we be more ethical than that?

As far as leaving the defective GFCI device disconnected.

GFCI protection is required by the NEC for garage, exterior, bathroom, and kitchen outlets.

The GFCI device in the garage was found to be faulty in that it did not interrupt power when "tripped", therefore it did not protect the outlets on that circuit. The outlet for the Garage Door opener is on this circuit.

The customer declined the repairs necessary, and we cannot reconnect...

Had we honored the customer’s request we could jeopardize our license and the safety of the home. In conclusion, we are displeased the customer was unhappy with this situation.

Our service manager attempted to resolve this matter on the phone but the customer hung up on him.We are not sure what else we could have done to resolve this matter.

joycechy
to Mr Electric San Antonio, Texas, United States #1295118

Davila Electric came the next day and did all my work for free after hearing of my experience.They did not feel that the gfi that was disconnected imposed an immediate safety concern and felt that there were other options that could have been taken by the Mr.

Electric technician. They also felt that the price was extremely high that Mr. Electric quoted. They did all of the work in less than 30 minutes.

As far as hanging up on Mr. Folz, this was true. He failed to mention that I had called him for a resolution and he was very blunt that I had only two options: pay the money and get it fixed or go without electricity.

Even if he had offered another solution on the 2nd phone call, I would not have taken it.I felt like they were underhanded in disabling my circuit without my knowledge and I would never use them nor would I recommend them.

to joycechy Lomita, California, United States #1319473

How much did Davila Electric charge? Invoice breakdown & license #?